Sunday, August 3, 2008

Sorry for lack of posts, been busy at work

Finished up the Nurgle Daemon army enough to get some games on. Also played the "Gaming for the Troops" tournament at Dragons Lair and came in third, missing second by 1 point. I still won something (DL gives 1st and 2nd prizes, followed by a best painted for "third") and came away with a French 40k Daemon Spearhead they accidentally got haha. I gave some things away, as I don't obviously need them and will trade some other stuff for a GUO and other goodies. Hell I know could make a 10+ man Khorne Flesh Hounds and some other nonsense. I think I will make the ugly as hell Nurgle Beasts into Nurgle Heralds with a Plaguebearer/marine/etc dude riding it. Papa Nurgle for the Win!

Here is the list I brought for the 1750 games. I wanted it to be fun and people to have a good time with it. I didn't expect it to do as well as it did, but hey, there is something for when the army hits all power weapons that wound on a 2+ and are rerollable to wound hehe.

***The list has to change, the gazes on the DP's are illegal, since only Tzeentch can take two. Gazes were pretty worthless and in reality did nothing in any of the games I played. I think they killed one Marine in the first game, every other time I didn't shoot it, or the nob biker just felt no pain for it. What will I do with the extra points, Wings for the other two DP's. hehe. All gazes gone will be 60 points so another DP with wings, below is the list I played that was illegal, but overall not a point in the game. My bad to all my opponents. I was thinking they were like Carnifexes in that they could shoot multiple guns etc.***

HQ: Epidemus
Troops: (15) Plaguebearers, Icon, Musician X 4
Heavy: DP, Wings, Mark of Nurgle, Gaze of Chaos, Breath of Chaos, Noxious Touch, Iron Hide
Heavy: DP, Mark of Nurgle, Gaze of Chaos, Breath of Chaos, Noxious Touch, Iron Hide X 4

That came out to 1745.

Game 1 was versus Ultramarines with a ton of Razorbacks. The tournament was set up to use all the missions in the new rule book in order, so this was the 5 objectives missions. I killed all his troops, except for one 5 man combat squad. That one squad sat on an objective that I could get near due to slow moving plaguebearers. If I could have, I would have tied and probably got second in the tournament. Oh well, I was on 3 of the objectives and was tank shocked off of them in the last turn :(. The new penetrate/glancing table is not my friend, but oh well, it was the weakness I saw in the army. The DP's killed all the troops and got shot up by multiple Heavy Bolters in the end. I should have killed the tanks and hoped for 6 rolls on the table to get ride of the troops around it. Oh the set up was Dawn of War, so I took first turn to burn up some dudes and hope to kill the HQ. Almost did damnit.

Game 2 was versus Jay and his Necrons. Red Bushido in the blogging circles around here. Jay played Necrons to prove to people how much they suck in 5th edition. Not an optimal list, but Jay just wanted to show easy it is to crush them in Hand to Hand. A Nightbringer was there and the set up was Dawn of War with the two objectives mission. I killed Night Bringer with two DP's with him taking one out. Hooray for Noxious touch. That is the beast. he did make 5 saves out of 7 wounds the bastard heh. Other then that, Plaguebearers came out farther and rolled well for slow and purposeful and hit a destroyer squad as well as a necron warrior squad. Bamf and there was 15+ on the tally and my guys were murdering death machines then. I would win combats by 8+ and there isn't much he can do. Phase out on Turn 4 and a massacre for me.

Game 3 was verse Jim and his ork horde. He had two small 5 man nob biker squads, and I think if he put them at 10, he would have probably won since I wouldn't be able to deal with that many. But that is just my opinion. A squad of plaguebearers assaulted a 30 man ork squad and well, the tally got to 20 real quick. The set up was the quarters one, as well as the killpoint mission. I have 8 in this list and he has 10. I won 5 to 3. Two squads of plague bearers and epidemus just hid out and never came out to play. Once the Tally hits, the bearers become beasts and can easily survive a 30 ork assault of doom. 16 points for me there and Win (15 for the win and +1 due to being ahead of kill points by 2).

What would I change with this list if I were to play again? I would probably take out the icon on Epidemus's squad. There really isn't any need for me, as well as the musicians etc. I might even take out two, as there really isn't any need, and with those two taken out, I can give wings to another DP. That should allow me more movement and a much stronger, anti vehicle threat. At 2000 points, I do get to add a GUO too, and depending on how I move the points around a nurgle herald in one of the units. Not sure if they are worth it, but will see. I wish flamers could add to the tally, but alas that is not the case.

Here are some pics of the army






New list at 1750

HQ: Epidemus
Troop: Plaguebearers (15), Icon X 2
Troop: Plaguebearers (15) X 2
Heavy: DP, Nurgle, Breath, Cloud of Flies, Noxious Touch, Wings, Iron Hide X 3
Total: 1750
Killpoints: 8

List at 2000

HQ: Epidemus
HQ: GUO, Breath of Chaos, Cloud of Flies
Troop: Plaguebearers (15), Icon X 4
Heavy: DP, Nurgle, Breath, Cloud of Flies, Noxious Touch, Wings, Iron Hide X 3
Total: 1995
Killpoints: 9

But yeah, there ya go.

6 comments:

Boss Salvage said...

Congrats on 3rd, well played. I've only heard Epidermus theoryhammered, it's horrific to hear about he and his posse hitting the tournies for real. The army looks gooey and great, totally dig the dreads as demon princes. On the gaze, I hadn't realized you couldn't buy two (checked, it does say may buy one) powers, cause an MC can definitely use two ...

New lists look good to me though, mono-nurgle ftw.

- Salvage

CrusherJoe said...

Sounds de-list-cious, Thomas. Congrats on third!

So, now that you've seen the "other side" of the nob biker phenomenon, what do you think of it from the other side of the table?

BTW: I may want to talk to you about how to do some conversions and a few things. I have an idea of a CSM army that is beyond my current abilities...

Anonymous said...

If you plan on hiding epidemius why not knock his unit down to 10.

Heralds of nurgle only seem worth it if you give them Palaquins... and even then I am not sure. Another kill point for what? 3 extra attacks in close combat. If you give them breath the get kinda expensive. Making them harder to get their points back.

Have you though about taking nurglings?

~kings

Somnicide said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stelek said...

So, you generate (eventually) super killy plaguebearer units, that aren't really capable of being super killy because you get 1 attack base.

The demon princes get zip from the tally. The GUO gets a better FNP, that's about it for him.

Take a look a this, it's designed for the ard boyz but maybe this will help. :)

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/216021.page

Thomas aka Goatboy said...

Damn the link didn't work.

The DP's are a threat factor, and most of the time they end up dying quickly, but they generate the tally, and that will allow the Plague bearers to sit on objectives and anything else.

The weakness is of course vehicles, but the hope is to deal with them via DP and GUO. And again, this isn't meant to be a hard list, just a list to play around and have fun with.

If I wanted to design something harder, I would move to something with the Fateweaver dude and other low Armored daemons, ie Blood Crushers etc. Most of the time, the DP's start to cause issues and then die, while the plague bearers set up for the long game on objectives and overall annoyance as people try to deal with them.

It works well versus horder armies, as orks have a hard time trying to wound them etc, and the Plaguebearers usually cause a good deal of wounds etc on the initial charge. Guard are more of a pain, but again this is just a fun list to mess around with.

Email me the link to the dakka thread, thomasart@austin.rr.com