Saturday, January 5, 2013

Goatboy's - 40k Whatever

So on BOLS today a model review popped up by myself that had me thinking.  People really don't quiet understand normal social routines.  I say this as I read some comments that just - well make me think a bit.  No I am not stopping what I do - it is just something that kinda gnawed at my brain a bit.

I am really tired of the useless comments.  If you post - that sucks or epic fail then you have done nothing.  At most you have just looked like a little child that says "Peas yuck!" It is one of those small things that really just annoys me.  If you don't know I do tech support and let me give you a hint at getting good support - don't be a dick.  It is the same with life - don't be a dick and most likely better things will happen for you.

It is how I live most of my life.  There is no good in bringing negativity to anything so I try to limit it as much as I can.  I know I don't always succeed but really - we all can't be fucking rainbows and sunshine.  It is why I usually just don't comment back to anything I find well - worthless.  I sometimes click on their facebook link and if they have a lovely picture of themselves I think some mean thoughts but I leave it at that.  If I can't help there is no point in giving it.

I wonder if this age of "bullied" but didn't go ape shit recipients has caused this constant stream of you suck, epic fail, or why are you even playing.  Look when you kill me 30 times in Halo I know I suck.  You don't have to say it to make yourself feel better.  Hell I feel better by having a lot of friends I can talk my game stuff with.  I am happy I have a wife that is cool with me covering the house in plastic models for myself and my clients.  I am happy I don't have to worry too much other then jerks giving me crap online heh.

The saddest thing I see is the same people commenting over and over again.  It is like - look I know you don't like this so what is the point.  I am not stopping (95 and going with Plastic Dudesmen) so what is the point?  What is the point in "pretending to read it" and then saying it sucks.  Awesome - you know how to "read".  So what is the point? I ask that of myself as I do these posts, comments, "articles", artwork, etc.  And you know why I do it?  Because I like too.  I know a lot of people get a lot out of what I do so I continue on with it.  It is fun for me because my brain is a constant battle of ideas and I need something to pour that epic hot sauce into.

My painting is my own - you hate it or you like it.  I don't really care either way as I enjoy how it comes about. I do wish some people would post there work.  If it is good I will say so.  If it is bad - I won't say anything.  It doesn't help unless they want a critique and how things are done etc.  Not that they like how I do stuff - but whatever right?

Alright - so with that rambling out of the way I should be painting later on today.  I got a Chaplain dread built, some CSM built, I need to finish off my 2 Raptors for myself and maybe start on another dragon.  By the end of it I will have painted 6 dragons haha.  Plus I want to do a conversion one too.  I just hate myself eh?

Some models for those to give me shit about.

MO DAKKA!

Beaten up and in Lava - life sucks eh?
And the reason why I am playing 3 Dakkajets - I painted my third one woohoo!


Oh and it looks like I am going to play a 1250 tournament event.  I plan on taking this.

Orks - 1250

HQ: Weirdboy, Warphead
Elites: Lootas X 10
Troops: Shoota Boyz X 30, Big Shoota X 3
Troops: Shoota Boyz X 30, Rokkits X 3
Troops: Shoota Boyz X 30, Rokkits X 3
FA: Dakkajet, Supa Shoota X 3, Fighta Ace
FA: Dakkajet, Supa Shoota X 3, Fighta Ace
FA: Dakkajet, Supa Shoota X 3, Fighta Ace

I am 10 points under 1250 and I should have fun.  DAKKA DAKKA!  Will see about writing up a battle rep if I remember.

10 comments:

TJ Atwell said...

Well GB, I say more power to you. I don't read everything on BOLS as I don't read every post on every other blog, but when I do pop in, I am usually disapointed with (usually the same) people who comment there. I think at the end of the day, you put a hell of a lot of work into giving them something for free (as we all do) and at the end of the day, what they think doesn't matter. You enjoy it, you love what you do and they continue to read, create nothing and then offer what they think is criticism, but actually lacks the info to count as criticism. I have always enjoyed what you do and look forward to seeing what you come up with for a Heldrake conversion.

Thomas aka Goatboy said...

Thanks brotha. It just gets frustrating especially when people that I can't find any minis post nonsense. I know the Color Wheel - I have a degree. I have been doing this for years and I went this one direction so it matches the army. But oh well.

And will see how the Heldrake goes - your two fucking rock and I am sure I will borrow much from your designs. I will probably post a build diary on Bols and link ya. In fact I would love to do a post about that Hell worm thingie too.

Aldonis said...

Hey Thomas (aka Goatboy),

I thought this a great post and enjoyed reading this. Somehow this hobby has changed from the days where guys got together - played a fun game - complimented and enjoyed the Painting/conversions that people did and made good friends. The change hasn't been in a good way. It's become in a lot of ways a highly competitive - nerd dick wag - where folks seem like they have to prove their worth and knowledge by cutting others to the bone. Sigh...I so miss the old days of the 1 or 2 GT's a year.

BTW - we played against you guys in the doubles tourney at ATC a couple years back and our team played you in ATC this year. Thought you had cool stuff and were a good laid back fun dude for what that's worth.

TJ Atwell said...

Hit me with some ideas, I would love push the Hell Worm to an even bigger mob. I think it would be good to show people how to roll up their sleeves when they dislike something rather than just belly aching about it.

The Responsible One said...

Just before I got back into wargaming, I realised that I was being overly critical of other people in one of my other hobbies (LARP).

The realisation I had was that if I just accept that what I see as 'bad' is, in many cases, just 'not to my taste'. I am perfectly capable of spending my money on time on different hobbies, or different aspects of a hobby.

We're in a hobby that runs from extremes of competitive 40K play to Inquisitor 28 players, from GW only players through historical gamers to hobbyists who think that if a system has more than a dozen players its probably gone 'too mainstream'.

"This is shit" is just internet shorthand for "I don't like it". Its lazy nonsense thinking and I hate it.

Some people like new models, some don't. I saw someone having a go at the latest WD battle report today because it hadn't been built for hardcore murdering dudes in the face. It seems a nonsense when the article mentions he was using his own army and taking the models he had painted.

It seems to be the nature of the internet that there are a large portion of the users who, rather than trying to generate useful content, try and gain relevance by Having An Opinion. Commenters, in particular, are often trying to make a quick, easy point in a few words.

Most people at this point would post something reassuring about how they like your work or similar. I'm going to try and take a different tack.

I read your stuff. Pretty much religiously, I click on the link from BoLS every time it comes up. Agree / disagree - it doesn't matter. I appreciate the work you put into the hobby and that you take the time to share that hobby with the wider world, risking the ill considered and hurtful stuff you've encountered today to allow other people to share in the enjoyment you're having.

What else is there to say? We read your stuff, and enjoy it, regardless of whether or not we agree. If we didn't like it, we wouldn't come back to read it again.

Euan said...

Keep up the good work with Plastic Dudesmen. I find it amusing far more often than not. I also like your painting style much of the time too.

You're all right with me.

Shayne Smith said...

Dude you are a huge inspiration to me. People feel overly critical and rude in general. Anonymity creates a bubble of negativity I will never understand. Keep it up your style is my favorite and has directly affected my own in a lot of ways.

Shayne Smith said...

Dude you are a huge inspiration to me. People feel overly critical and rude in general. Anonymity creates a bubble of negativity I will never understand. Keep it up, your style is my favorite and has directly affected my own in a lot of ways.

Thomas aka Goatboy said...

Thanks for the comments. It is always a wonder why you put stuff up there at times haha.

Well I am off to that 1250 event to see if I can shoot a lot of things hehe. It should be fun as I spent a year not playing in local events.

Next few games I want to try solo CSM instead of using allies. Will see if it works out ok.

Randroid said...

The reasons outlined in your post are exactly why I rarely read BoLS. It is just negativity for the sake of it. I prefer to surround myself with more positive people and their works.

Thanks for continuing to share your workload with us here. I appreciate it.