Friday, December 4, 2009

Quick post about weekend tournaments



I was lucky enough to make it into the top eight of both GW games for the end of the year tournament at BFG. Here are the lists I plan on throwing down with over the weekend. Will see if I can do alright with them.

40k End of Year - Space Goats KILL!!!

HQ: Wolf lord, Thunder Wolf, Thunder Hammer, Storm Shield, Saga of the Bear, Runic Armor, Wolf Tail - 265pts
HQ: Canis - 185pts
HQ: Rune Priest - 100pts
Elites: Wolf Guard (3), Powerfist (2), MoW - 109pts
Elites: Iron Priest, Thunder Wolf, Wolf Tooth Necklace, Cyber Wolves (4) - 165pts
Troops: Grey Hunters (8), Meltagun, MoW, Rhino - 175pts
Troops: Grey Hunters (9), Meltagun, MoW, Rhino - 190pts
Troops: Grey Hunters (5), Meltagun, MoW, Razorback - 135pts
Troops: Fenris Wolves (8) - 64pts
Troops: Fenris Wolves (8) - 64pts
Heavy: Long Fangs (6), ML (3), HB (2) - 130pts
Heavy: Long Fangs (6), ML (4), HB - 135pts
FA: Thunder Wolves (5), Powerfist - 280pts

Total - 1997

Not a ton of Melta, but lots of ways to deal with basic mech. Armor 14 will be a pain, but I have some Str 10 things running around that might do some damage. I should have no issues with armor 12 or less due to the amount of missile launchers etc. The dogs will do great when they can swarm up on someone and get to chewing. I like the Iron priest, but he might drop for later builds. Another build thought would be to get into another squad of Thunder Wolves via dropping the Iron Priest, some wolf guard and going into 4 squads of 5 grey hunters with Razorbacks etc. That might be the more optimal build as large Cav units are pretty tough to deal with. Thoughts?

Fantasy End of Year - WoC Chosen Block of Dumb

Lord: Sorcerer Lord, MoT, Chaos Steed, Skull of Katam, Conjoined Homoculus, Glaive of Putrefaction, Bronze Armor of Zhrakk, Bloodcurdling Roar - 444pts
Hero: Exalted Champ, MoT, BSB, Flail, Chaos Steed, Doom Totem, Fury of the Blood God - 265pts
Hero: Sorcerer, Lvl 2, MoT, Chaos Steed, Infernal Puppet, Enchanted Shield, Third eye of Tzeentch - 231pts
Hero: Sorcerer, Lvl 2, Chaos Steed, Dispel Scroll, Spell Familiar, Soporific Musk - 196pts
Core: 5 Marauder Horsemen, Flails - 75pts
Core: 5 Marauder Horsemen, Flails - 75pts
Core: 5 Marauder Horsemen, Spears, Shields - 75pts
Core: 5 Chaos Warhounds - 30pts
Special: 14 Chosen, Full Command, Favor of the Gods, Blasted Standard - 381pts
Special: 5 Chaos Knights, MoS - 210pts
Rare: Chaos Warshrine - 130pts
Rare: Chaos Warshrine - 130pts

So yeah, the magic brigade rides with the Chosen and the hope is to initially roll a 6 or an 8 for the initial power, so I can reroll the shrines over and over until I get the super jerk power. I didn't build the list, as JWolf threw it together for me. He has a knack for fantasy lists, as one ofs and random crap really do much better in fantasy. I build the redundant stuff for 40k and I let him come up with funky stuff for Fantasy haha. The biggest thing is to not forget the Roar on the main guy, as well as the other random bits I always seem to forget.

I also currently bought this model to make a Chaos Dragon out of.



If the rumored changes in 8th do occur, I think double breath weapons hitting a unit will be pretty deadly. In fact, so much so that a lot of armies are just going to eat it when hit by that much love from a double headed dragon of doom. Plus this will let me have a nice base to build something crazy out of it. I will probably make him have more gut, with bits hanging out and change up and daemon out one of the dragons heads more. More horns, more spikes etc. The plan is to do a blue and red dragon mix as it should let me have some intense colors etc.

Thoughts on it?

Here is hoping things go alright this weekend. I am making it my mission to have more fun and to try and just let myself not get so worked up in the game. I know I don't "suck" but luck can make you suck for you without paying the 5 dollar sucky sucky.

This next week - the plan is to finish out the one command squad for the bike army and start on Khan's. My Khan is going to be a barbarian, and thus his command unit is going to have more exposed arms and other random bits to make them fit. It should allow me to break up some of the monotony in the design and allow for a weird break color. Also I have been messing with Vallejo paints and have found them to be a great alternative to GW's stuff. Most likely I will be switching things out as I run out of the current GW stuff I have. Will see.

No comments: